- Preheat oven to 250°.
- In a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat add garlic; while turning occasionally, cook about 8 minutes, or until skins are well charred. Remove cloves from pan and let cool 5 minutes. Discard skins. Combine garlic, rind, juice, achiote paste, and 2 teaspoons oil in a mini chopper; process until smooth.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt over pork. Brush achiote mixture evenly over pork. Place pork in a medium Dutch oven or ovenproof saucepan; cover and bake at 250° for 6 hours. Remove from oven, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- While pork cooks, place sliced onion in a medium bowl and combine with 1/2 cup water, vinegar, agave, and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring it to a boil, stirring until salt dissolves. Pour the vinegar mixture over onions and stir. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let cool to room temperature. Allow all of the onion to be submerged. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Shred pork with 2 forks on a cutting board and be sure to discard the fat.
- To crisp the pork, add 1 cup of shredded pork to a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons oil; swirl to coat. Create an even layer and cook for 3 minutes or until a crust develops, turning once. Place crisped pork on a platter. Repeat procedure with remaining shredded pork.
- Place 2 warm tortillas on plates. Top each tortilla with 1 1/2 ounces crisped pork, 1 tablespoon Tomatillo Salsa, and 1 tablespoon pickled red onion.
Where to find Achiote Paste?
For flavorful, delicious pork, find the achiote paste for this recipe and more at your local Extra Supermarket.
Recipe adapted from: https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/carnitas-tacos-pickled-red-onion